What is WP Personal Websites?
WP Personal Websites is Texas State University's own instance of WordPress, a content management system and online publishing platform that is currently behind more than 20% of all sites on the web.
The service allows anyone with a Texas State Net ID to create a simple website or blog for yourself, a class, or your research. Publish a site for your club, share pictures from your events, or document your research with easy to use, web-based tools.
Watch our video tutorials to see just how easy it is to use!
WP offers a number of tools to make sharing your content with the world a quick and trivial task:
- Create blog posts and web pages using a rich text editor
- Upload images to add to posts, or create an image gallery
- Choose from four different templates to best suit your needs
- Customize your sidebar using WordPress' various Widgets
- Add additional editors to your site with varying levels of access
- Accept comments from your site visitors
- Publish your site as an RSS feed
- Import and export your content to a portable file
Using WP After Leaving the University
Your Texas State Net ID will become inactive when you are no longer affiliated with the university. You will not be able to log in to WP Personal Websites without your Net ID and password.
However, you will have the option of exporting the content of your WP Personal Website ahead of time, allowing you to create a new site using the material you've already created.
Adding Additional Users
In WP Personal Websites, users have the ability to invite other users to write for, edit, or help run a website. This feature makes WP Personal Websites an ideal platform for collaboration within the Texas State community.
Before a user can be added to your WP Personal Website, they need to log in at http://wp.txstate.edu first. It is not necessary for them to create a website, just to log in so that they are entered in the WP system. Once this is complete, you will be able to add users successfully.
To add a user
Step 1: In your admin area, hover over Users in the left navigation, then click [Add New].
Step 2: Under Add Existing User, type in the Net ID of the user you'd like to add. If they've logged in to WP successfully, their Net ID and email address will populate in a list below the field. If you do not see them, they have not logged into the system yet.
Step 3: Choose a role for the new user. The available roles are:
- Administrator—has access to all the administration features within a single site.
- Editor—has the ability to publish and manage posts, including the posts of other users in the site.
- Author—has the ability to publish and manage their own posts.
- Contributor—can write and manage their own posts, but cannot publish them.
- Subscriber—can only manage their own profile.
Step 4: By default, WP will send an email to the user to let them know that they've been added. If you'd like to skip this, check the box.
Step 5: Click [Add Existing User].
NOTE: The Add New User function does not presently work. Always use [Add Existing User] to add users to your website.
Help Us Improve WP Personal Websites!
While there are already a number of great features offered by WP Personal Websites, we are always looking for ways to bring you new features. Since WP is built on the popular WordPress system, there are a number of plugins and themes available that can enhance the service.
Before we can add new plugins or themes to WP, every plugin/theme has to be tested and examined to ensure it is a good fit for Texas State. We look at the following criteria to determine this:
- Is the plugin/theme still being maintained?
- Has the plugin/theme had any major security issues in the past?
- Is the plugin/theme currently secure?
- Does the plugin/theme work with the current version of WordPress?
- Can the plugin/theme be implemented in our environment?
- Does the plugin/theme benefit all users of WP Personal Websites?
If you have a specific plugin or theme in mind, or just a new feature you would like to see added to WP, please use this form. Provide as much information as you can, and we'll take it from there.
Please note that it is likely we won't be able to add every feature that is requested, but we will review every request. Any features we can add will appear in future updates of WP Personal Websites, and will be listed in the "New Features!" section below.
Email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also start a Live Chat session below.
LAS Support is now offering Live Chat support for WP Personal Websites!
- Enter your NetID (e.g. zzz99).
- Enter your Department name.
- Briefly describe your issue in the text box.
- Click Submit.
- When prompted, click the Run button.
- If prompted a second time, click Run again.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to temporarily install the Bomgar support.
- On your desktop, double click the new file with the .dmg extension.
- A new box will appear. Double click the file in this box.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.